Thursday, February 12, 2015

Lentil Chilli

I'm a serious foodie which could easily explain why my weight has always been a problem. It's not just eating the food that's fun, but preparing the menu and cooking the food is therapeutic also. I love to watch the Food Network and the Cooking Channel and I think the little girl inside me still wishes I could have my very own cooking show.

The biggest misconception is that a diet results in a lack of originality and fun while cooking. It's more expensive to create low calorie, low fat meals but not at all impossible. Thanks to the internet, there is no lack of original recipes to try. Last year, I had to rush a good friend to the emergency room because her heart was racing. It turned out to be nothing, but the doctor scheduled a follow up appointment for later in the week at the cardiac facility in the hospital. While I was in the waiting room, I picked up a "heart-healthy" pamphlet and discovered this recipe that I'm about to share with you.

Lentil Chili

1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
8 cups, low sodium vegetable broth
5 cloves garlic
4 TBS chili powder
1 (16 oz.) package of lentils
2 (15 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes (with chilies)

1. Sauté onion, bell peppers, and garlic with about 1/2 c. of the vegetable broth
2. Add the rest of the vegetable broth, the chili powder, the lentils and then diced tomoatoes
3. Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until Lentils are soft
4. Serve!

Nutritional info: Per cup serving
130 calories
0g. Fat
23g Carbs
7g dietary fiber
6g. protein

WW Points +: 2 points

Nutritional Info: 
Per Serving:130 calories (5 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 6g protein

I was wary about lentils, because I had never tried them but the chili powder really flavors these nutrition packed lentils. I am a chili fanatic, and I was pleased by the real chili flavor. What's better, is this chili is VERY good for your heart and your health. With only 2 points per serving, you can feel guilt-free to double up and eat 2 whole cups for only 4 points!! Even more amazing is that this chili will keep you full, satisfied, and healthy.

What's your favorite "go-to" recipe?


No comments:

Post a Comment